Shared Values Benefit the Client, the Environment and the Community
From its inception, Return On IT has been a socially and environmentally responsible company. We have not added a layer of ‘green wash’ as an after thought, but designed our services around saying and then doing the right thing with old computers. Clients trust Return On IT because we share the same values and build a working relationship to responsibly manage their end-of-life IT.
Our purpose is to make a positive contribution to you, the environment and the community:
- Audit existing IT infrastructure to reduce costs, energy use and associated carbon footprint
- Reuse redundant IT and return money to you
- Protect clients reputation; implement data security by wiping or disk shredding
- Recycle computers when they have no value, separating and recycling in the UK
- Ensure WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) disposal compliance
- Support clients’ CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) agenda
- Using money raised from resale for good causes
What we don’t do with the scrap equipment is send it abroad to be broken down. As Green IT Magazine has pointed out, not caring what happens to your old IT can lead to it being shipped abroad to ‘dumping grounds of shame’; developing countries may only have rudimentary processes that lead to poisoning of the land and the workers, as well as compromising the security and integrity of your organisation.
Recycling IT is rightly viewed as better than dumping in landfill. However, reuse is better than recycling. The energy consumed during the life cycle of a computer is dominated by production (80%) compared with operation (20%, according to IT and Environment Initiative). Return On IT’s extension of the computer’s usable lifespan by reuse, goes some way to mitigating the fossil fuel used in its production.
Finally, Return On IT donates a proportion from our reuse and computer recycling Regeneration service to the separate EIT Foundation focused on environmental and charitable activities. The News section on this site will show you what we’ve been doing. Many of our clients also use money returned from resale of IT to support these activities, or to fund their own good causes and CSR agenda.